<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 09, 2004

I realize why I rarely publish here, but check the site religiously.
You see, I make the mistake of reading all my friend's blogs first, and then get distracted by all the cool things going on in their lives, that I forget I've had my own.

Tonight was an emotional night. At the end of work I had a few moments to spare before I had to go so I watched a bit of TV. There was a special on about meth babies. It made me hurt, cry, pray and want to scream all at once. How, why? Terrible. Once upon a time I met a guy who would have been "normal" had his mother not been doing drugs while pregnant with him. Instead, he can't walk, has limited talking capabilities, and is far behind the average boy his age. To realize how he had been permanently scared often made me a bit angry at his mom, and she wasn't doing anything nearly so bad as meth. Most shockingly, a person can get addicted to meth by the second try! It gets the sex drive pumping, so women crave more sex and then (guess what?) get pregnant and give birth to meth babies. What a nasty nasty evil drug!

As I drove home I thought about how life is SO fragile. There's not much difference between me and that boy I once met. And I'm not only talking about the prenatal stage, either. Life is fragile all the way through. I have a friend who was in a car accident in high school, went through the windshield because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt, made a dent in the pavement and stopped breathing. He was revived, but the damage was done. He has not walked without assistance or spoken more than 5 words since the accident several years ago. I wish I could protect the meth babies, have them never have that drug run through their blood. I wish I could protect the victims of sexual & verbal abuse before it happens, that I could stop car accidents from paralyzing and killing people, stop cancer from polluting our bodies... I wish I could do a lot. But I can't, I'm only one.

So, I leave you with two questions.
What good is just one?
How is it best, then, to live?

My heart bleeds tonight.
-bliss

Comments:
Luckily, you're not just one. Not when anyone else is standing next to you! (meaning me, Steve, our families, etc.) And we're not powerless. We can pray, can't we? We are fortunate enough to have a God who cares for His children in a very intense and personal way. His heart bleeds the same way yours does.... Let's take it to him, shall we?

God Bless your compassionate heart... Steve found a keeper. ;-)

~Kate
 
Is it so wrong of me to be jealous of how happy one of my best friends is? The Lord led the two of you together, and I know he knows what is best for each one of his children. Congratulations to you both.
And as far as the power of one. . . I think that around this time of the year (elections, etc.) we tend to become pessimistic as a people. But if we turn around and become optimistic, than the power of one becomes the power of many, and we can make a difference.
God's blessings.
~Chris R.
 
Don't know if your friend actually knew he was mentioning a movie on the topic, but "the power of one" is actually one of Wayne's fav movies. I think the guy in the movie goes through the same thing, thinking one can't make a difference, and then people remind him how much a difference he has made in their lives. (But it's a lot less cheesy than it sounds) Like Ben told me the other day, the "george bailey" thing. :> Anyway, I think when confronted by so many horrible things, you just have to concentrate on the people you know are affecting. Your siblings, parents, husband, best friends, the people you work with, the kid you smiled at on the bus... The power of one indeed.

Hey, thanks for the bulgarian lesson my blog. :) Ben got a kick out of it, as did Wayne and I. Your posts are always so fun to read... And now that I have discovered your blog, I can return the favor!! :)

-em
 
Yeah! Em! I'm glad you found our blog! I was hoping you would someday.
I don't usually have anything intellegent to say on your blog (the Bulgarian thing was a freak accident) but I do check in on it from time to time. It's fun to see how my friend far away (further away soon!) is doing!
If you & Wayne need a break from the "RL" come down and visit us! We'll be near ocean, mountains, etc.
Same goes for almost anyone on here who knows (really) who we are.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?