<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Currently Reading:
The Seventh Son and The Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card.

Now that Christmas break is finally upon me, I took it upon myself to visit a the local library, where Laura and I got our library cards and I pulled these books for the start of my break.

I just finished the first, Seventh Son which is the start of the Alvin Maker series, and am quite pleased so far. Card creates an imaginative "America that might have been" if superstitions, hexes, witchcraft and all that were actually real. It takes place soon after the revolution happened, except that the revolution did not happen in this world. It is an interesting blend of fantasy and history, not a masterpiece, but entertaining enough to get my mind out of the mathematical wasteland I have inhabited lately.

Comments:
Hey, Steve, it's Linnea.
I had to laugh when I read your comment about being in a mental wasteland, because I am rather the opposite at the moment. I'm trying to teach myself subjects I have an interest in, but never had time to study while cramming a biology degree at Bethel. Toward that end, though, I am reading "A History of the American People," by Paul Johnson, a British historian. I could barely fit the thing in my carry-on this morning. But hey, I'm up to the War of 1812, I'm doin' good! :)
I hope that your trip home is a good one. Will I see you at all? I'll be back Dec. 26.
Happy reading!
 
Yes, we should hang out. We will be in touch.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?