<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 10, 2005

All Quiet On the Western Front

I finally finished All Quiet On the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque, and decided to reccomend it to anyone who is interested. This book is depressing, it is harsh, the plot is sketchy at best, the characters are one-dimensional (except the protagonist), but overall it is well-written and powerful. The book follows the experience of one fictional soilder fighting for the germans in the trenches of World War I. The horrors of war are described in some detail, which makes this heavy reading at times. The book attempts to explain how the soilder copes with the horror around him, which is what makes the novel interesting.

Update: Laura thinks that my review is too ambiguous and perhaps uncomplimentary. So here goes: I did think, in the end that this book was worth reading, and it is probably far better than I give it credit for. Go read this book. If you have not already. Cause then you probably won't want to. Except that its a good book. Really good. Just not great. OK, I am glad I cleared this up.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?