<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Three Degrees from Einstein

My job comes with certain perks. Like meeting really smart people. Yesterday at our seminar about Copenhagen & the Atomic Bomb that wasn't, entitled "Mentoring The Bomb," I met and talked with Eugen Merzbacher, a renowned physicist who used to have tea in Copenhagen with a certain Nobel prize winner, Niels Bohr. This name may be familiar to many of you. (If it's not, click on his name and get a quick explanation of who he is. The third paragraph is particularly interesting.) Niels Bohr was known for his discussions with a certain Albert Einstein. (No link needed.) Thus, I am proud to say, I am only "three degrees" away from old Al.

Dr. Merzbacher brought in bits and pieces from Los Alamos, New Mexico where the first bomb went off. I was told they were no longer radio-active. I hope that was the case, as I examined closely several pieces.

In other news, Steve and I also met a couple of actors this weekend who had played on "Law and Order," "One Life to Live" and "Star Trek: Next Generation." Some of you may find that more fascinating that Einstein.

Comments:
That's all really cool! I know a bit about Bohr after my reading up on the making of the atomic bomb, reading about Heisenberg, and an excellent play named Copenhagen, which focuses on a mysterious meeting between Bohr and Heisenberg (Heisenberg headed one of the German atomic bomb programs, and there is debate whether he helped or hindered the process).

And yes, I do wonder who these actors are! I'd bet I know their characters, etc. so fill us in darnit!

--Neal
 
Hey Luara, now that I quit working at TIU I don't have a firewall anymore! Hopefully I will still be able to get to your page and even leave occasional comments from China. Luv ya!
Nicki
 
Neal, funny that you mentioned that... the play "Copenhagen" was what this weekend was based around. We even got to see it performed on Friday night. It was EXCELLENT. (This is why we had actors around, incidently, for this weekend. The guys that played Bohr & Heisenberg -- also seen in off-broadway productions and cheesy soaps -- came to our panel discussion to discuss the play, etc.)
 
Oh cool! I saw the play in its original run in London when I was on England Term. It was good enough that I picked up a copy of the play there and then, and that started me on reading about the making of the bomb, a book about Heisenberg, etc. Cool stuff, imo.

Panel discussions like that are quite fun as well. On England Term, we got to chat with an actor or director the day after seeing a play at the RSC in Stratford. Cool stuff, tell you me.

--Neal
 
Wow, three degrees from Einstein!! I am in awe. Plus, I think it's funny that someone was excited about 2 degrees from Patrick Stewart.... :> He he he...
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?