<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Last weekend some friends of ours needed help with thier youth group overnight. So Steve and I packed up and traveled about an hour north, to The South.
Where I learned all about tobacco farmin' from a 45 year old woman who said when she was a child she couldn't wait to grow up so she could leave her small town, and yet she is still there.
Where high school boys still dress in a shirt and tie (usually with a sport coat on top) to attend church on Sunday
Where high school girls wear much too little a little too tight to go to church on Sundays, but it's all very fashionable dress.
Where Church is "what everyone does" (Except maybe dad. He'll stay home and smoke.)
Where I witnessed a man yelling "Run, Forest, Run" with a PERFECT Tom Hanks accent. (Now this wouldn't be super cool, exept it was the same accent the person always used.)
Where people kept asking me to "speak Minnesotan" because they thought it sounded so cool.
Here's a sample conversation.

"We knew some people from Wisconsin once. They had a great accent."
(Laura:) "Oh yeah, that's near where I'm from -- well, where in Wisconsin?"
(North Carolinian:) "I don't know, somewhere near a lake. Do you know where that is?"
(Laura:) "Um... which one? Wisconsin has several thousand. Minnesota has over 10,000."
[Later in that conversation:] "Do y'all have mountains in MN?"

VERY fun weekend. Great cultural experience. More cultural for Steve than me, as I at least had experience with teen agers. (And they are the same the country around.) Steve did GREAT though! I was quite proud of how well he held up.

Oh, and one last anticdote... (Steve's giving me an ugly look that says, "Quit typing, we've gotta go eat.")
We went to the lake with the youth group kids. I was EXCITED. LAKE! Sweet home Minnesota...
Then I realized that NC is built entirely on clay. That's no different on the lake front. Clay with water = uky mud. So in order to swim, you had to get REALLY dirty. Needless to say, neither of us swam.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?