<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 03, 2006


BIRDS!!!

My dear old high school friend (who hasn't updated her blog in a year, ahem!) came screaming to my front door yesterday.

What caused her to scream? Why, BIRDS!
Lots of 'em, scads of 'em, sitting in our tree tops waiting for some poor soul to walk underneath them so that they might scare (or at least flabbergast) the passerbyer.

Do I blame her? No, I've screamed a similar scream silently every day for the last couple of days (since we returned home). I feel as if I am in a Hitchcock film. There are thousands of birds, hundreds of birds, and they're all out to get me.

They continually fill the air in the mile radius surrounding our house. I'm not sure why. Sometimes they perch for about 15 seconds, then they all fly again. I used to think I liked birds, now I just think they're scary.

A story to illustrate the point:
When we got home from the airport Sunday night, we opened the car door, disrupting the eighty or so birds above us. Many birds fleed the scene. A robin tried, but failed. He floundered out of the tree, seemingly drunk, and proceeded in hitting the overhang of the roof not one, or two, but three times before he flapped to the ground. There he flailed about like a bad rap dancer, and then lay motionless for about two minutes. Just when we thought he had passed on to a better world, he began dancing, just for a minute, and then lay still again. Our ride from the airport suggested putting the poor bird out of his misery, I said I'd had enough for the evening, and I thought we best just ignore it. I was disturbed enough as it was, I did not want to run the poor thing over. The next day, hang over complete, the bird had disappeared. I was relieved.

This is but one instance of the bird mayhem that has decended upon our home.

Disturbing. Very disturbing.

Comments:
I have been thinking about the poor drunk rap dancing robin, and I believe that it may not have ever recovered from its coma. Instead it may have been discovered by one of our neighbors cats.
 
Is that Liz "Anklestrong"? Say hi to her for me. How is she?
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?