<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

K sluzhaleniu, do svidania!
A difficult move indeed, I've decided to drop out of Russian class. I do not have time.

My old schedule:
7 am - Get up, shower, eat, pack lunch, clean kitchen (common area, so must be cleaned)
8:30 am - Go to class
10:00 am - Go from class to work. Try to do Russian homework on the bus on the way there
10:15 - work until...
6:15 pm - finally go home. Do more Russian homework until you can't think any more, then read ESL text book.
6:30 pm - arrive home, eat "hippy commune" house-dinner thing.
7:30 - Have house function (either after-dinner speaker, house meeting, or executive council meeting)
8:30 - Get to work on Russian homework. If you're lucky, find time to also do ESL homework (the class is actually called Literacy & Learning for English Language Learners).
11 pm-ish - Finally finish Russian homework, sort of... bemoan the fact that you don't have time to figure out truely how the instrumental case is used in Russian, memorize the exceptions to the spelling rules, or even look over vocabulary, shrug your shoulders, pull Steve out from behind his regressions and math, and get ready for bed.
12:00 - Bed!!!

This looks sustainable, almost and sort of, except it misses that I also work weekends (friday night and Saturday morning) that I don't finish all my homework in the amount of time alloted above (note that my graduate course, the literacy/ESL one, barely gets any time scheduled above), that I have a husband with whom I'd like to spend quality time on occasion, and that I have NO TIME to do domestic work.

This wouldn't be bad, if Steve had time for domestic work. He doesn't. He doesn't have anything he can quit. It's 10:30 at night, he's still in his office.

This weekend I looked around our apartment for a place to study. I found a 8' x 4' chunk of floor, and considered myself lucky. The suitcase from the trip we took with our church group two and a half weeks ago was still commandeering half our living room floor. For the last two weeks, I've only ever gotten half our laundry done.

This pattern was not sustainable. So, I quit. It was a tough call, but I feel SOOO much better about life already.

Now, off to watch the Duke/UNC game!




Comments:
bravo! glad to hear you were able to cut back a bit...wish i could do the same.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?