<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Hey, Wick (& Nicki) -- This is a question for you (if you ever read my blog) and a rambling for everyone else.

I mindlessly surfed the internet today, looking for inspiration. I like my current job a lot, but know that in the future (think: when Steve graduates and we have to move) I'll likely not be able to find as awesome of a job. Then I think, "what am I good at, what would I like to do?"

And I mostly think I'd like to be a librarian. But I thought I wanted to be a Social Studies or ESL teacher, and now that I'm almost done with my education (second license in ESL), I'm sure it'd be cool, but I'm not too keen on the hours or lifestyle/emotional drain of a secondary school teacher. I don't want to go get a masters in library science only to discover that it wasn't as perfect a fit for me as I'd originally thought.

So, how do I get my feet wet? Steve'll work in acadamia for forever, so libraries will always be had. What if the career shift happens when I'm finding myself (due to the pitter patter of little feet) only able to work half-time?

If I were an undergrad I could find work study programs in the library. I'm not an undergrad. What do _I_ do?

Please, those who may know, advise.

Comments:
You could always get a para-professional job in one of the libraries on campus. One that you don't need an MLS for, but will give you library experience.
 
Hmm, well, I see my intrepid roomie has already commented, and as I was going to forward this to her, my plan A response is moot.

Plan B response: I think it's always helpful to sit down and talk with folks who have experience in your job of interest -- and the more you talk to, the better. If you have certain traits that you worry will make you a poor match for those jobs, ask them about it. Ask them about pitter-pattering little feet and the kinds of emotional drain they experience, what frustrates them and what delights them about their work, etc. Live vicariously for a bit (Vicarious Para-Librarian! YEAH) and see how it suits you...

When does your life calm down? we need to get together!
 
LN,
So, um... I was looking around online yesterday, I couldn't find out how to obtain said job. Think you can get me an in?

Nik -- The "Nicki" above is not spelled wrong, but is in reference to my friend in China. She'll be responding to this blog, if at all, on my xanga site, but since I just copy and paste from this site there for her, I thought i should keep the text the same.

Tuesday, my life slows down Tuesday. I'd love to get together after that!
 
Hey prom date -

I do read your blog. You haven't been posting that often. So there. :)

First off, I can definitely see you as a librarian, if that counts for anything. Smart, literature, a little quirky -- you'd fit right in.

I totally hear you on the lifestyle/emotional drain of teaching. Totally. Reason #1 why I left. The good news is, librarians can be teachers, too -- it's called bibliographic instruction. It's a lot easier than teaching in a classroom.

I would agree with your friend Nik who suggests chatting up a current librarian. They're generally friendly people and would probably be happy to answer a few questions.

Getting a job in a library would be a good way to get a feel for the work, too. In the library world positions that don't require an MLS are usually called support staff, and requirements for the work can range anywhere from being a warm body to having a four-year degree and library experience. A quick look at the UNC Libraries website turned up this page. Nothing that's there right now would probably fit you, but keep an eye on it.

Librarians and support staff positions are frequently needed at unusual hours, so it's actually a pretty decent career choice for anticipating future half-time commitment.

You are also fortunate in that UNC has one of the top library schools in the country. If you want to find someone else to talk to, just walk on over and chat up the Admissions office, or a random professor, or some of the students. You could even take a sample class as a non-degree student to get a feel for the atmosphere.

There's more I could say about this, but this is long enough already. Feel free to drop me a line or catch me the next time I'm on AIM (same old screen name).
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Excellent question. This is easy, but difficult.

There are two ways to pick a career direction:

1) Follow an ideal or an ambition;
2) Follow your talents.

#1 is risky because it usually doesn't line up with #2.

#2 is important because without it you will not, in the long term, accomplish #1.

So, do not pass Go, do not collect $200, skip #1 and go right to #2.
 
Great, dad, but what are my talents?
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?