<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Compromise

My doctor and I disagree. She says my due date is Feb 8th, based on my last cycle. I say it's Feb 18th, based on what the sonographer told me at early ultrasounds (unfortunately, my doc doesn't have a record of this) and based on the middle-of-the-night cramping that came about ten days after I expected it to.

I'm tired of trying to figure things out with both numbers in mind. I didn't want to feel like the first trimester was over until the later date for the end of the first trimester (which was August 6th, instead of July 27th) just to be clear, but then my doc keeps scheduling things for my OTHER date, so I've got to keep both in mind. For example, right now I'm simotaneously 13 weeks, three days along and one day away from the start of my 15th week. Confusing, eh? I thought I'd have had it figured out by now, that my doc would have relented, but it hasn't happened.

Given that the gestational period of a woman varies from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy by up to two weeks on either side of a due date, and given that the "due date" is just an approximation anyway, and yet given that EVERYONE asks you on a regular basis how far along you are and it's way too confusing to most to say, "Well, my doc things THIS, but I know I ovulated late, so it's THIS" -- especially since most people don't want to really ever HEAR the word "ovulate" much less know that you know when it last happened to you -- I've decided to compromise.

It would make sense to take the middle date, February 13th, but let's face it, (a) I know I'm more right than my doctor, so it should be closer to my date, (b) 13 is an ugly number, and (c) it's only ONE DAY off from Valentine's day. So, what the heck, since I know I'm more right than my doctor, I'm now declaring it, as officially as I can:

Our baby is due on February 14th. Valentine's Day.

Now I've gotta figure out how far along I am based on this new information...

Ah, nice. I've just started my 14th week. This is the week that I might first feel the flutter of tiny feet in my belly. Unlikely, but possible. And I'm now through the "sick" stage (which I already knew). I have exactly 26 weeks to go, so 65% of my pregnancy left, and for this 2/3rds, I'll "know" how far along I am. No more keeping track of two dates.

Comments:
You can just average out the weeks, pick one and stick to it. It will be less complicated for people if you decide on one... then towards the end, they will be able to tell you exactly how far along you are based on the baby's measurements... then you can change it. It will be less confusing. Im glad the calendar is right around all the times!
 
you made me laugh with "especially since most people don't want to really ever HEAR the word "ovulate" much less know that you know when it last happened to you"

Glad you're feeling better! We'll walk soon.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?