<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, June 01, 2007

Okay, so I know this wasn't asked for, but I'm going to respond to #2 (below) because I need to vent...

Teacher appreciation week and all the junk you get. Ready for the list?

A snack pack that says (in BRIGHT colors with pictures of the candy bars, just in case you didn't quite understand):
"This Snack Pack Contains: An ALMOND JOY because it's a joy to count on great staff members like you. A PAY DAY because teamwork always pays off. A TAKE 5 because you deserve a satisfying break for all you do for our school!"

and if this wasn't enough, the next day I got another one. Also, bold, bright colors proclaiming (on a pre-printed, mass-produced card)
"Thanks for making a DIFFERENCE at Our School! Nestle Crunch - Because you're so helpful in a crunch. Milky Way - Because you're out of this world. Mounds - Because you deserve "mounds" of praise!" (and then on the back) "Your efforts at our school each day help students grow in every way. We're grateful we can count on you to make a difference in all you do." (awww... it's a poem.)

Finally, (last one, I promise) on a package of jelly beans:
Thanks for "BEAN" part of our SUCCESS
(and on the back, of course pre-printed. Nothing personal here)
5 WAYS you help us SUCCEED
1. You're always willing to lend a helping hand!
2. You approach every task with great determination.
3. You know how to be a good team player.
4. You're dependable and trustworthy, no matter what the situation.
5. Your positive attitude inspires everyone around you!


Okay, first of all, I enjoyed the candy (mmm...) and the thoughtfulness of the anonymous person who stuck them in every teacher's box. BUT... talk about false praise! I felt more like a kindergartner than anything else. You (anonymous gift giver) have NO IDEA if I do those things or not. And I'd get the candy and praise REGARDLESS of if I did them. So, really, is it inspirational? Do I feel touched at someone's thoughtful praise? And, since every teacher got the candy, then every teacher's positive attitude must "inspire everyone around" them. If that's the case, we have a whole school FULL of inspired individuals running around. Why, then, aren't we solving the world's problems? And why are my students still getting called into the Principal's office for (rumor has it) drug possession? Doesn't sound like inspiration to me.

It's teacher appreciation weeks like this (and my accompanying cynicism) that make me wonder if I'm cut out for teaching after all.

Comments:
I would have requested number 2, but I didn't want to sound too demanding. Write about whatever you want.

I kid my kid brother (4th grade teacher) about the teacher- appreciation kitsch, because so much of it is tacky and useless. At least you got real candy instead of apple-motif plaques and pillows. Doesn't make the praise any less hollow, but it saves you a trip to the PTA shop donation center.
 
My mom used to unload her least favorite teacher gifts on me...at least until I realized that the stuff was useless too!
 
Oh yeah, I also got this year a pen, a star-shaped felt box with a puzzle piece pin in it (that one confused me... What's the point? Oh, I am in the south, maybe someone ordered a "pen" over the phone and got a pin instead. Who knows. :) ) I've also gotten a mug that says I'm a star (that's actually useful, though) and an insulated lunch bag with the school's name on it.
All for being under paid and over worked. :) (Oh, actually, I think my pay is pretty accurate. Despite what all the slogans say, I haven't really gone the extra mile this past year. Mostly on account of my lack of ambition when half the time half my students don't show until class is half over combined with a brand new baby at home to distract me. I've taught, I've done a good job, but I haven't gone overboard. I give myself a B or B+. Not A+ material this year.)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?