<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

SOS for Book Recommendations! (yet again)

Dear blog readers,

Could you send me your recommendations for good novels that are about large-scale group survival? Or individuals that survive a tragedy that hit their community. Think broadly. I'll be using these recommendations to gather books for my classroom, so they should be "school appropriate." These will be high schoolers reading the books, so they should be books that you think you'd like to pick up and read again (aka not too juvenile) while simultaneously being linguistically "easy" (think of books that you could have digested as late elementary/junior high students). Also, if you have ANY recommendations from Latin America, I would LOVE them. Most of my students will be Hispanic.

Here's what I've got so far (to give you some idea of where I'm going with this):
Diary of Anne Frank
Lord of the Flies
Hiroshima (by John Hersey)

Comments:
Umm... Uncle Tom's Cabin has some pretty cool elements of this, even though not ALL of them survive, per se. Most of them do, with a pretty amazing story.

The other ones I was going to suggest are already on your list... I'll keep thinking.

-Katie
 
Paul's all about Kon-Tiki, which I think is out of print.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?