<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 10, 2007

Goodbye Adam Smith 

We recently experienced a tragedy in our household. A love one has stopped functioning. I speak of Adam Smith, a Dell Inspiron 2650 with a 20 gig hard drive, CDRW-DVD combo drive, 512 megabytes of RAM and a 1.7 gigahertz processor. Oh, yes, and it had a floppy disk drive. I expect that to be the last one I ever own. It was the first computer I ever purchased.


This little friend joined my side on Christmas Day 2002 just before I headed to Oxford for a semester abroad. It brought me through many an oxford essay, an internship research project in Atlanta, two semesters of college assignments at Bethel, two years of economics graduate school research, countless hours of web browsing and emails, and more video games than I care to remember.

A little over a year ago, it then passed to my beautiful wife, who treated it well and planned many hours of teaching on it. It plugged away for her until a few weeks ago, when the whirring sound turned to a clicking sound, accompanied by the unencouraging message "Operating System Not Found." It did not take long to figure out that the operating system was gone because the hard drive was gone.

Adam Smith R.I.P.

Since L needed a computer, we purchased a new one for her. This one is named Cyril, which will not exactly fit the theme (my current computer is named John Maynard Keynes, and our wireless network is Milton Friedman), but that's what happens when you let your wife choose the name. Cyril is a much nicer new computer, you can see a picture to the left.

Bonus points for anyone who knows who her computer is named after. Those who have known L well for a while should know. If you don't recognize any of the other names we need to have a little chat.

He should serve L well. Welcome to the family Cyril. Goodbye Adam Smith.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
You'll have to pardon my ignorance, b/c I have only an inkling of the name dropping you did. Considering your field of study, I have to guess something to do with economics. Any further detail is probably over my head. :)
 
Ugh.

I can't believe you squandered a perfectly good opportunity to switch to Mac.

For shame.

I'm guessing your (subpar) computer is *not* named after the hero of the Council of Nicea?
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?