<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 10, 2007

Vegan Mashed Potatoes and Gravy 

Tonight I was thinking mashed potatoes. This is not too unusual, it is a common pleasant thought for me, but usually mashed potatoes go with meat in my mind. Since we don't have any meat in the house, this was shaping up into a problem. But once my creative juices got flowing, I cooked up a pretty decent recipe on the fly for those out there who might be trying to cut down on the meat, but still want hearty home-cooked mashed potatoes and gravy with dinner.

Mashed Potatoes:

This part is easy. Just avoid milk and butter. I used hippie butter (Earth Balance), salt and pepper, and if it is too dry you can use a little of the water you cooked the potatoes in. If you are generous enough with the vegetable shortening, you will never miss the dairy.

Gravy:

The vegetables you use can vary. I used about a half of a cup of frozen pearl onions, two green onions, two stalks of celery, and a cup or so of a frozen onions and peppers mix. Start with a generous amount of hippie butter (again Earth Balance) saute up the pearl onions for a while, add the other onions and peppers, green onions, and celery. Saute until they look so good you want to eat them. Add a little more hippie butter if you feel brave, and then throw maybe a 1/4 cup of flour all over everything, stirring it until everything is coated and the flour and butter have thoroughly mixed. Then you add as much vegetable broth as seems prudent (4 cups? 5 cups? I really have no idea how much I used, sorry) and let it cook a little. It should thicken up quickly with no lumps. I also used a very little bit of Lipton onion soup. I am not sure that that stuff is really vegan, though, and I don't think it was necessary. Garlic and pepper to taste, depending on the broth you use, you may not need salt.

The result was a sucsess, L really liked it, as did I. Paired with biscuits, corn and applesauce, we were in hearty-home-cooked heaven. (I know, the biscuits are not vegan, we are not good at staying pure.)

Labels: , ,


Comments:
LOL Its sounds wonderful! I will have to try it. Lots of onions, I should have known that would do the trick! I guess your biscuit recipe isn't vegan, but it is fairly easy to make mine vegan. I think......Hmm. I may have to work on that.

Give my grandbaby a kiss for me.

Love,
Mom
 
It's the pearl onions that make it REALLY good (my opinion)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?