<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Why he's finishing grad school so quickly 

The director of graduate studies in my husband's department asked him how it was possible that he was getting out in four years, and what she should tell all those folks that were in their sixth or eighth year of studies and hadn't finished.

This comic (appropriately published a week after E was born) says it all.

Actually, it says most of it. Really, around this same time, S discovered he must defend by last May to secure his advisor (who is leaving the department). Then, he discovered that if he worked all summer (and I took baby duty all summer) he stood a chance of having a job market paper. Now he's realized that he DOES have a job market paper, and thus, perhaps, will have a dissertation (note, I did not say "GOOD" dissertation, just dissertation) done by the spring.

So, for those who don't yet know, we're done in May. I don't know how he did it. I'm a bit unnerved by the fact we'll be moving again soon, but the job applications are going out next week. I think this next year is going to be crazy. Long nights, here we come. (Erm, here we are, rather!!)

Comments:
Wow! I'm glad to see that good ol' Midwestern hard work in evidence. We will really miss you guys once you move!
 
Any done dissertation is a GOOD dissertation, by definition. Congratulations and good luck.
 
Oh, how exciting!!

Now, I'm off to hide in a cave. I suddenly don't ever want to leave school.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?