<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Poetic. 

Ten years ago I was a senior in high school
Hard to believe.

Then, (and many of you don't know this)
My hair started falling out.
In large clumps
Until two noticeable (half-dollar and dime-size) bald spots got me in to the doctor.

She diagnosed me with alopecia areata.
I was a little freaked, but as long as I could hide the bald spots by wearing my hair in a half-pony tail, I was okay. I wondered, though, when the loss of hair would stop.
Thankfully, the topical drug she prescribed did the trick,
within six months the hair had grown back and (despite the fact she cautioned that it might fall out again five to ten years down the road) it has been fine since.

Many people aren't as lucky as me. They don't get their hair back as quickly as I did.
They may not get it back at all.
Others suffer from hair loss from chemotherapy.
Now I find myself with more hair than I need.
So I've decided to do the obvious thing,
when blessed with much, you give to those who have need.
Goodbye hair.

There's something poetic about sending extra hair off to a high school (or younger) kid
ten years after I was in their shoes.

At least, that's what I have to keep telling myself, and must keep telling S.
Because when he gets back from his conference, he's in for a surprise.
He loved my hair.

Pictures to come. (And, thanks, dear friend A-, for doing this with me!)

Comments:
My best friend in high school had the same thing, but all of her dark, curly, beautiful hair fell out. She was totally bald by the end of our post-graduation summer. Eleven and a half years later, her hair still comes and goes in patches. She usually just keeps it shaved and wears a wig or a hat or scarf. She's beautiful either way.

Can't wait to see you new cut! We went out and bought Settlers and the Cities and Knights expansion New Year's Day. We're hooked! Tell Steve thanks for sparing you for the evening. And the four of us need to get together soon.
 
Good job Laura! Its hard cutting that much hair!! I look at the pictures on the Locks of Love website now and wonder if any of the people are wearing my hair. Its kinda cool. What a great way to help!
 
Both you and A look beautiful with the new cuts! :)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?