<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Supporting the supporter 

As you probably know, chaos hit my sister's university on February 14th.
April 16th marks the anniversary of when a similar chaos hit VT.
As a result, little sis jumped on a bus and drove 12 hours overnight to support VT students she'd never met, but with whom she had a sad bond. It was the least she could do. These students had supported her school in so many ways just two months before.

Her story is here.

I went to support her. (Only a 3.5 hour drive, the least I could do. And beautiful mountains to greet me there and back.) I felt a little out of place at first, but was so glad to be there with her. I found out things about her tragedy that I hadn't known before. We talked about the insanity of it all. And I cried. About two dozen markers into the massacre, something in me snapped. I counted those I'd passed. Only two thirds of the way through. "STOP HERE!" I screamed to a man a year gone. You don't need to do this anymore! JUST STOP! These people have loved ones, family. They'll miss them if they go. You don't need to do this anymore. You didn't need to do this in the first place. But to do it, then to take a break, and go back and do it again... Insane.

I'm glad I went. I understand my sis's world a bit more now. Her hallowed ground, her safe place of learning -- raped. And no understanding as to why. What-ifs abounding. Her community shaken. I am grateful for her and amazed at all she did to try to piece back her broken community. It was so appropriate for VT to reach out to her. And so appropriate for her and her community to reach back and support VT. Who else would understand?

Wednesday was a good day. A very emotional, very hard, very good day.


There were still many signs around campus showing VT's support for the tragedy that happened nearly half a continent away from them.

NIU told NIU students they shouldn't advertise their presence on campus. No wearing NIU gear. This was about VT, after all. Then they sent them to Virginia in this bus. Gee. Not at all conspicuous.


The memorial. Too many stones. Too much insanity.

My sis at VT.

P.S. Please do not use text or photos from this blog without written permission from the owner (me).

P.S.S. Hokies or Huskies, if you come across this blog, please, feel free to give your thoughts/comments (annonomously or not, as you choose). I'd love to hear more from you.

Comments:
You write way better than me Laura. Thanks you a thousand times over for coming.
 
I walked by the bus on the way to the library before the vigil. Seeing that bus was awesome. It's hard to explain but it was like seeing family.
 
I drove behind the bus on my way to campus and was so glad to see NIU here. It's a horrible connection we have but it helps to know you are not alone. I'm sure your sister appreciated your support that day, thank you for coming.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?