<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 25, 2008

Watchmen 

S got Watchmen out of the library. Since he's faculty, he gets it for six months. I only needed it for two days. I have now completed my first graphic novel.

It was very well done. Very dark, and very well done. (Not appropriate for younger viewers.) It makes you think about the nature of life, to say the least. Since I didn't major in English, I can't elaborate on it any more than that, my words fail me. But it is a piece of art, and I can see why it is heralded as one of the best graphic novels, as a turning point in the world of graphic novels (a world that has hitherto been unknown to me). Again, I warn, it is dark. Do not read if you want a happy novel.

I will not say anything more for fear of ruining the plot for you, but I will say you should spend a weekend and read it (if you are over the age of 16). It's faster to read than the first Harry Potter book.

On the plus side, I now understand this trailer, and am excited to see the film.

Comments:
You should read "The Dark Knight Returns" next. It's generally considered the best "regular superhero" graphic novel, followed by "Kingdom Come". "Sandman" is supposed to be good, too, but I've never read it.

I'm curious to see how the movie handles the Cold War. The idea of two equally matched nuclear-armed forces on hair-trigger, while not entirely historically accurate, is so crucial to the plot and the motivations of certain characters, that I don't see how they can bring it up two decades without fatally damaging the story. I hope they leave it in the 80's.
 
I don't have much hope for that. The trailer starts with "In 2009, the world will change."
...
Hm... Doesn't look good.

But you're right, they really do need to set it in the 1980s. I'm also curious to see what they do with the date.
 
I think it is an alternate history either way - because the course of the vietnam war is altered by them.

I haven't actually read it, but I did read the plot summary and it does look interesting!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?