<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, October 20, 2008

No negotiation 


(It's cold enough for E to be in a turtleneck, but she's decided to act like it's summer. She insisted on this outfit. She especially liked the glasses.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

E's going through a rough time. She's re-learning boundaries.

Today that meant half an hour of re-learning that nap time was not negotiable. During the half-hour cryfest, (after I'd tried to calm her down, lay with her, etc. and finally determined that she just needed to ride it out) I kept repeating to myself "You do not negotiate with terror(ist)s. Especially not 20 month old ones that REALLY DO need to take their nap." So, I sat in the living room, listened and waited, busying myself by reading a book about child psychology (the first page I read said that nap times should not be negotiable, thus helping me feel a bit better about my crying babe.)

Like they'd planned it, exactly 45 seconds after E settled down, K woke from her little nap in the swing and let out a scream for me. I'm getting used to this now, though, (it's a frequent occurance) so I smiled, stood up, and went to see what was the matter. I picked her up, she calmed immediately.

I sat down, sighed, and looked deep into those dark eyes and she stared back at me with a newfound alertness. Then I was rewarded. She gave me her first smile.

AHhhh... Bliss.

Comments:
Aw! congrats on the first smile, that makes everything worth it i am sure!

I've heard that there is a lot of terror surrounding nap time with that age group (my coworker even has problems with bedtime with her 24 month old). So I hope you survive! Just remember to stay strong and that boundaries are good. Of course that's small comfort with a crying child... but I thought I'd try :-)

10lees
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?