<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Status 

So, good things have been happening.

I am now within a couple pounds of my pre-K weight, which means I'm 8 pounds away from my pre-E weight and about 14 or 15 lbs from my pre-cruise-pre-E weight. :) And I'm still losing! My goal is to get to my pre-E weight (hasn't happened SINCE E came along) before I stop losing naturally. I figure if I have to work hard to get the 5 or 6 cruise pounds off, it's my own darn fault, and serves me right for overeating when offered unlimited four and five star dining. What was I thinking? :)

In other news, I got the job at S's place of employment. I didn't quite play "dutch bingo"* with the director, but we had our own Evangelical version. So, among other connections, he knows the guy who helped found the school in Congo that my mom and cousins attended, he helped recruit and/or was colleagues with a couple of professors I had at my undergraduate institution. He worked with them at the school I attended my freshman year (his former colleagues were then professors at my sophomore-senior year university). This was all before I attended the school, but it was still fun.

*Dutch Bingo is a western-Michigan phenomenon. People, when they're introduced to you, invariably (yes, really) ask you what your last name is, in hopes that it's a Vander-something and they can then ask you if you know Vander-so-and-so. Then, you can say "Yes! He's my sixth cousin, twice removed! Do you know a Van-so-and-so?" and the game of Dutch Bingo begins. For me, Dutch Bingo only lasts one round. "What's your last name?" "Mc-something." "Oh... nice to meet you." I'm thinking of changing my name to Vander-something, just to fit in. (smile.)

So, that long tangent aside, in January I will start working a full-time job. I think E will love child care, and K will love not being poked in the eye by her sister every three hours. From my previous work-and-parent experience, I am confident that, far from making me a worse parent, this job will help me to enjoy my children more and spend higher quality time with them when we are together. AND it might allow us to actually have enough money saved up for a house down payment by May! (Maybe.) Only downside is the "full time" thing, but (sigh) things aren't always perfect. Half-time jobs are hard to come by at S's institution, and any job outside that school requires a second car or some serious planning. So, this is what we get!

Comments:
Gotta love Dutch Bingo. I love it when I'm away from home and am anxious to make any connection to Michigan, but hate it when I'm the awkward public school attending, non-CRC college attending person who is "only" half-Dutch.

Congrats on the job! Can you email me to tell me where?
 
We used to joke growing up and visiting GR often that we needed to change our last name to DeVanderHamptonsma just to fit in.

Congrats on the job!! See you next week!!
 
Congrats on the new job!! I'd love to hear the details on what you are going to be doing!

10lees
 
Good for you! I hope it works out well for you all. The aside on Dutch Bingo made me laugh. :)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?