<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, November 21, 2008

Our Little Helper 



I'm pretty sure E's two love languages are "quality time" and "acts of service," which means she wants to help out a lot.

E is quite the little helper. She helps cook (she pours after I measure), she helps do dishes (taking silverware out of the dishwasher and putting it in the silverwear drawer), she helps put K's pacifier back in (whether or not she wants it -- sometimes E takes it out first, just so she can help put it back in) and she helps change K's diapers (she goes and gets a cloth diaper from her changing table so that I can put it on K. Sometimes she gets one of her size four disposable diapers or a size large diaper cover because she gets confused, but most of the time she gets it right).

Anyway, although she is very smart for a one year old who can't talk, she sometimes gets confused. Friends may recall the story about S saying "you're lagging behind" and E stopping, pushing up her pants, and staring at her bare leg for a few moments, trying to figure out what daddy meant. "What's this about my leg? ..."

Tonight she was in the kitchen helping daddy cook. S said "now we need to put the topping on the casserole" and E, without hesitation, ran to the cupboard, opened it, and took out a top to put on the dish.

As a pseudo-applied-linguist (one who dabbled in teaching ESL), I find this "evidence of language acquisition" fascinating. I applaud her efforts and chuckle at the mistakes she makes as she tries to figure us out.

I just can't wait until she starts speaking better, so we can understand more of what's going on in that little brain.





Comments:
I find that so cute! I'm so curious about what our daughter knows too...
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?