<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, December 05, 2008

ironic. 

K's night schedule usually includes waking around 1:30 or 2 and again around 5. Last night I prayed for K to sleep through the night. S said afterwards, "don't worry, she will eventually -- likely the night you have insomnia. God has a sense of humor." He turned out to be right.

Last night K slept 9 hours straight. 9:30-6:30.*

We (S and I) were awake more or less from 2:30 until 4 am with E, sick with a fever and congestion. Around 3:15 am, blurry-eyed and crawling back into bed, hoping this time E would sleep, S looked over at me and said, "Indeed, God has a sense of humor." (Or maybe I said it... hard to remember at that early hour.)

Oh, the irony.

*So, I may have helped K along a BIT. Several weeks ago some girlfriends of mine were discussing "sleep feedings," something I'd never heard of before. The basic concept, they explained, was that you don't waken your baby, but instead simply feed your baby while she sleeps (baby reflexes are great like that) right before you go to bed, regardless of how long she's been asleep, and then that'll help her sleep longer. She usually goes to bed at our bed time, so I hadn't tried it but once -- it backfired big time that time, and I was up four times instead of two. That said, last night I thought it was worth a go again. At 3:30 am, I fed her about half of what she normally eats that time of night. She slept through the whole thing, including the burping and screams coming out of her sister, so I decided not to feed her the other half. That said, she was well on her way to breaking records before I fed her, I think she probably would have gone 7 hours regardless.

I am excited and hopeful that this may be the beginnings of a new, beautiful pattern for K. Even if she only sleeps 6 or 7 hours straight from here on out, that'll be SOOOO much better than 5 and then 3.

For those concerned about E -- she is acting like herself again this morning, no temp, but still obviously stuffed up.

For those wondering where the prayer came from -- you obviously haven't been a parent of a 2 month old. (Smile.) What prompted it last night may have been my discovery that my body can only tolerate two cups of coffee in the morning. Three makes me jittery and affects my ability to feed K because coffee does NOT help hydrate a person. Even one affects my supply, I'm fairly sure. That makes a cranky K. Good news, I've figured out how to optimize. One cup = fine, Two cups = okay, three cups = bad. Bad news, I definitely need to be producing more than I am, especially given upcoming daycare plans. That said, K's sleep patterns make it VERY HARD to for me to live without the coffee. The pattern needs to be broken.

Comments:
Hmmm...maybe I need to stop drinking so much coffee. Interesting! Too bad I feel like i need it to survive at this point.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?