<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Tonight's yummy veg meal 



We didn't make any New Years resolutions (other than "buy a house,") but we have been discussing eating more vegan/vegetarian meals. Here's tonight's yummy creation, Chickpea Tagine with Cinnamon, Cumin and Carrots. I give it a 4.0 (on a 5 point scale.) If you go for the vegan version (no yogurt), it's still yummy, but downgrades to a 3.0 as it looses the yummy tang of the yogurt. We couldn't find the Greek-style yogurt the recipe recommends (anyone know where we can find that?) but it tastes great with regular yogurt, too.

It is a slightly sweet, flavorful Moroccan-like stew. It is very quick and easy to make, the only chopping involved are for the carrots and onion. (We used pre-minced garlic from a jar, which also helped speed things up.) Total prep time is about 5 minutes, total cook time about 25. I LOVE cumin, so I knew it would be a hit. I am glad I restrained myself and did not add chili (smile). I was afraid it would be too bland. It is not. The fresh parsley, however, is a "must" for flavor.

Were I to make it again, I'd add more currants and carrots and a little more water -- it seems a bit chickpea heavy. (Hint: if you don't like garbanzo beans, you won't like this dish.)

I encourage you to follow the link above and have some yourself! If the link is dead, talk to me, I'll pass along the recipe. (This is from October's issue of Vegetarian Times. Thanks again for the subscription, Grandma R!)


Comments:
sounds really YUM! i know you can sub greek yogurt by getting the plain regular stuff and straining it (link below). it really works! if you have a trader joe's, whole foods or the like, the real greek stuff should be available.

http://greekfood.about.com/od/greekcookingtips/ht/strainyogurt.htm

my new fave veg meal is a version of ma po tofu:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Stir-Fried-Tofu-and-Shiitake-Mushrooms-in-Spicy-Black-Bean-Sauce-107857
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?