<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 22, 2009

Prophetic... I hope, I pray. 

I have wondered at our naming choice for K. Strange name, forever mispronounced.

Yesterday I was rewarded strongly for our bravery. My family met J.D., at a dinner my work was hosting. He is a Congolese living in a foreign (African) country because his own country lacks the infrastructure for him to pursue higher education. He is attending one of our seminars on genocide and its impact/existence in the Christian world. His higher education pursuits are in peace and conflict.

I introduced him to my two young children. At the second one's name, he asked "what is her name again?" I told him, and he said, "wait, that's Swa... Lingala?" "Yes." "Wow..." he responded, "just, wow..." (Lingala is one of the most common trade languages in his home country.)

So, to the confused Dutchman standing with us, I explained, "K-- means 'peace' in Lingala."

After which a still stunned J.D. responded, "That is prophetic. May I take my picture with her?"

I never thought I'd hear her name described as prophetic.

He went on, "Our country is forgotten. When people meet her, they will hear of us, we will not be forgotten."

A tiny infant, not even a year, bringing hope of peace.

"I named her it because I wanted to point to the peace within. I wanted a reminder that peace did not come from us, that we could not achieve it on our own, but that it came from God," I said. "In Congo, there is not peace, but there is Peace."

J.D. nodded and pointed to his chest. "Yes," he said.

--------------------

I will never question my choice in names.

And, at his request, J.D. now has a picture on his camera of him, a Congolese man, holding on to "peace."

Comments:
That's a wonderful story Laura!

Carrie
 
That's a beautiful story! it brought tears to my eyes!

10lees
 
Beautiful... what a rare moment.

Love you - Dot
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?