<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Squirrel and the Chipmunk 

I sat on the main floor of the library today, reading during my lunch break and watching out the window as students passed to and fro.

A chipmunk and a squirrel caught my eye. The squirrel was closest to me, working steadily at digging a small hole, and then studiously burying it again. Up and down, up and down the squirrel's little nose went as he inspected his work. The chipmunk, in the background, simply skittered here and there, seemingly aimlessly. I had a notion that the chipmunk and the squirrel were somehow related, but I couldn't figure how.

When the squirrel was convinced that his job was well done, he slowly retreated, checking other spots in the ground as he left his buried treasure.

A second had not passed before the chipmunk's skittering brought him precisely to the spot where I'd observed the squirrel. Barely a split second (and flurry of digging) later, the chipmunk had a nut in his hand and was, as if knowing his guilt, quickly retreating from the scene of the crime, getting as much distance between himself and the squirrel as possible.

The squirrel continued his consciencious plodding, oblivious to the theft.

------------------------------
Sometimes I feel like I'm the squirrel.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?