<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 02, 2009

E -- The Negotiator 

Based on E's performance in properly depositing her excrement (potty training), she is rewarded with candy. The sudden influx of holloween candy has given her options for rewards, which she decided to test today. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Congratulations E! You did it!

E: I get candy now!

Me: Thats right.

E: I want three candies!

Me: actually, you can have either four M&M's, or two holloween candies.

E: I want four holloween candies!

Me: Nice try, but you can have either four M&M's or two holloween candies.

E, deciding to play hardball: I want four holloween candies!

I repeat my ultimatum.

E, seeing the need to compromise replies: I want three holloween candies.

Me: Good try, but I control the candy supply, you are in no position to negotiate.

E: I want three small Halloween candies.

I repeated my terms, and she re-iterated her offer two more times, until finally.

E: I want holloween candies.

Me: Good choice.

In retrospect, I am quite proud that my two-year-old is a rather sophisticated negotiator. I guess this just proves that kids learn skills fast when they have something to gain.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?